Websites of Interest
Relating to Pod Squad and the HSP
- Species at Risk – A link to a digital version of the Habitat Stewardship Project brochure outlining the issues affecting Southern Resident killer whales.
- Killer Whale Tales – This Washington state based program was the inspiration for Pod Squad. Check out Jeff’s Orca Facts and activity sheets for the classroom to enhance the Pod squad experience.
- Whale Research – Based on San Juan Island, this is the premier organization studying Southern Resident killer whales. This site has the Whale ID guides, audio, video and a photo gallery as well as whale encounters and news.
- Orca Network – Orca Network keeps track of the latest marine mammal sightings. You can send in your sightings or sign up for their email to hear where the whales are hanging out.
- Wild Whales – This program, run by the Vancouver Aquarium focuses on BC sightings of marine mammals and uses the sightings to support research & conservation.
- Whale Museum – In Friday Harbour, San Juan Island, the Whale Museum runs a Whale Adoption Program for Southern resident killer whales. Teachers and parents should check out their Gentle Giants of the Salish Sea online curriculum.
- Vancouver Aquarium Cetacean Research – This Vancouver Aquarium page lists some of the past and current cetacean research . You’ll also find a link to their BC Wild Killer Whale Adoption Program, which offers both Southern and Northern residents for adoption.
- OrcaSound – Listen to live hydrophones from around the Salish Sea. Some even have live video feeds as well. Hear the whales and hear what they have to listen to every day.
- SARA Public Registry – Environment Canada’s Species at Risk site gives a list of all Canada’s species at risk, including killer whales.
- Parks Canada Marine Poster Contest – Parks Canada runs a Marine Poster Contest for Grades 4-8. Shaw Ocean Discovery centre is one of the supporters of the contest.
- Parks Canada Salish Sea Handbook – Teachers, if you don’t already have a copy of Salish Sea – A Handbook for Educators, you can request a copy here.